Re: When to lock pipe->rd_wait.lock?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 9:28 AM Max Kellermann <max.kellermann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had another look at this, and something's fishy with the code or
> with your explanation (or I still don't get it). If there is a
> watch_queue, pipe_write() fails early with EXDEV - writing to such a
> pipe is simply forbidden, the code is not reachable in the presence of
> a watch_queue, therefore locking just because there might be a
> wait_queue does not appear to make sense?

Meanwhile I have figured that the spinlock in pipe_write() is
obsolete. It was added by David as preparation for the notification
feature, but the notification was finally merged, it had the EXDEV,
and I believe it was not initially planned to implement it that way?
So I believe the spinlock is really not necessary (anymore) and I have
posted a patch that removes it. (David, you would have received my
submission, unfortunately I misspelled your email address....)

Max