Re: [MAINTAINERS/KERNEL SUMMIT] Trust and maintenance of file systems

On September 10, 2023 8:10:15 PM PDT, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 03:51:42PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Sat, 2023-09-09 at 16:44 +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> > There hasn't been an HFS maintainer since 2011, and it wasn't a
>> > problem until syzbot decreed that every filesystem bug is a security
>> > bug.  And now, who'd want to be a fs maintainer with the automated
>> > harassment?
>
>The problem is that peopel are *believing* syzbot.  If we treat it as
>noise, we can ignore it.  There is nothing that says we have to
>*believe* syzbot's "decrees" over what is a security bug, and what
>isn't.
>
>Before doing a security assessment, you need to have a agreed-upon
>threat model.  Another security aphorism, almost as well known this
>one, is that security has to be designed in from the start --- and
>historically, the storage device on which the file system operates is
>part of the trusted computing base.  So trying to change the security
>model to one that states that one must assume that the storage device
>is under the complete and arbitrary control of the attacker is just
>foolhardy.
>
>There are also plenty of circumstances where this threat model is
>simply not applicable.  For example, if the server is a secure data
>center, and/or where USB ports are expoxy shut, and/or the automounter
>is disabled, or not even installed, then this particular threat is
>simply not in play.
>
>> OK, so now we've strayed into the causes of maintainer burnout.  Syzbot
>> is undoubtedly a stressor, but one way of coping with a stressor is to
>> put it into perspective: Syzbot is really a latter day coverity and
>> everyone was much happier when developers ignored coverity reports and
>> they went into a dedicated pile that was looked over by a team of
>> people trying to sort the serious issues from the wrong but not
>> exploitable ones.  I'd also have to say that anyone who allows older
>> filesystems into customer facing infrastructure is really signing up
>> themselves for the risk they're running, so I'd personally be happy if
>> older fs teams simply ignored all the syzbot reports.
>
>Exactly.  So to the first approximation, if the syzbot doesn't have a
>reliable reproducer --- ignore it.  If it involves a corrupted file
>system, don't consider it a security bug.  Remember, we didn't sign up
>for claiming that the file system should be proof against malicious
>file system image.
>
>I might take a look at it to see if we can improve the quality of the
>implementation, but I don't treat it with any kind of urgency.  It's
>more of something I do for fun, when I have a free moment or two.  And
>when I have higher priority issues, syzkaller issues simply get
>dropped and ignored.
>
>The gamification which makes this difficult is when you get the
>monthly syzbot reports, and you see the number of open syzkaller
>issues climb.  It also doesn't help when you compare the number of
> [...]

The noisy wheel gets the grease, and bots, especially ones with no kind of data organization, can be very noisy indeed. So even a useful tool can interfere with prioritization, and in particular encourages reactive rather than proactive scheduling of tasks.