Re: btrfs freezing question

On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 11:41:40AM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have a patch series unrelated to btrfs that moves block device
> freezing and thawing to block device holder operations - Jan and
> Christoph are aware. As part of that I took a look at various freezing
> implementations to make sure that there are no regressions and that I'm
> testing correctly.
>
> So what puzzled me with btrfs is that freezing operations triggered
> through freeze_bdev() seem broken.
>
> For example, triggering a freeze through dm_ioctl() would currently do:
>
> freeze_bdev()
> -> get_active_super()
>    -> sb->freeze_fs()
>
> And get_active_super() (which will go away with my patch series) walks
> all super blocks on the systems and matches on sb->s_bdev to find any
> superblock associated with that device. But afaict - at least on a
> regular mount - btrfs doesn't set that pointer to anything right now.

Eesh, no you're right, seems like we only set this when we're moving devices
around, so it must have gotten removed at some point.

> IOW, get_active_super() can never find the btrfs superblock that is
> associated with that device mapper device (sticking with the example).
> That means while we freeze the underlying block device the btrfs
> filesystem making use of that block device isn't.
>
> Is that known/expected? Am I missing something else why that's ok? Or am
> I misanalysing? Probably not a very common use-case/scenario but still.

Nope this is for sure unexpected and a bug.

> I'm pretty sure this would be fixable with my series. It just requires
> that btrfs would finally move to the new model where bdev->bd_holder is
> set to the superblock instead of the filesystem type and would start
> using fs_holder_ops if that's possible.
>
> Because implementing block device freeze/thaw as holder operations
> wouldn't need to match on s_bdev anymore at all. It can go straight from
> bdev->bd_holder to the superblock and call the necessary ops.
>
> My series can proceed independent of fixing btrfs but I'm just trying to
> make people aware in case that somehow wasn't known.

Thanks for that, we definitely need to get this fixed.  Is the bdev->bd_holder
part of the new mount api, or is it some other thing that we can do right now
and then be in a good spot when your new patchset lands?  Let me know and we can
prioritize that work.  Thanks,

Josef