Re: [RFC 0/4] Landlock: ioctl support

On Sat, Jun 17, 2023 at 2:49 AM Mickaël Salaün <mic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24/05/2023 23:43, Jeff Xu wrote:
> > Sorry for the late reply.
> >>
> >> (Looking in the direction of Jeff Xu, who has inquired about Landlock
> >> for Chromium in the past -- do you happen to know in which ways you'd
> >> want to restrict ioctls, if you have that need? :))
> >>

> > Regarding this patch, here is some feedback from ChromeOS:
> >   - In the short term: we are looking to integrate Landlock into our
> > sandboxer, so the ability to restrict to a specific device is huge.
> > - Fundamentally though, in the effort of bringing process expected
> > behaviour closest to allowed behaviour, the ability to speak of
> > ioctl() path access in Landlock would be huge -- at least we can
> > continue to enumerate in policy what processes are allowed to do, even
> > if we still lack the ability to restrict individual ioctl commands for
> > a specific device node.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>

> > Regarding medium term:
> > My thoughts are, from software architecture point of view, it would be
> > nice to think in planes: i.e. Data plane / Control plane/ Signaling
> > Plane/Normal User Plane/Privileged User Plane. Let the application
> > define its planes, and assign operations to them. Landlock provides
> > data structure and syscall to construct the planes.
>
> I'm not sure to follow this plane thing. Could you give examples for
> these planes applied to Landlock?

The idea is probably along the same lines as yours: let user space
define/categorize ioctls.  For example, for a camera driver, users can
define two planes - control plane: setup parameters of lens, data
plane: setup data buffers for data transfer and do start/stop (I'm
just making up the example since I don't really know the camera
driver).

The idea is for Landlock to provide a mechanism to let user space to
divide/assign ioctls to different planes, such that the user space
processes can set/define security boundaries according to the plane it
is on.

> > However, one thing I'm not sure is the third arg from ioctl:
> > int ioctl(int fd, unsigned long request, ...);
> > Is it possible for the driver to use the same request id, then put
> > whatever into the third arg ? how to deal with that effectively ?
>
> I'm not sure about the value of all the arguments (except the command
> one) vs. the complexity to filter them, but we could discuss that when
> we'll reach this step.
>

> > For real world user cases, Dmitry Torokhov (added to list) can help.
>
> Yes please!

ya,  it will help with the design if there is a real world scenario to study.

> > PS: There is also lwn article about SELinux implementation of ioctl: [1]
> > [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/428140/
>
> Thanks for the pointer, this shows how complex this IOCTL access control
> is. For Landlock, I'd like to provide the minimal required features to
> enable user space to define their own rules, which means to let user
> space (and especially libraries) to identify useful or potentially
> harmful IOCTLs.

Yes. That makes sense.