Re: [RFCv5 5/5] iomap: Add per-block dirty state tracking to improve performance

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 08:32:42PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
> Brian Foster <bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> Here is the 1st discussion/reasoning where the deferred iop allocation
> >> in the readpage path got discussed [1].
> >> And here is the discussion when I first pointed out the deferred
> >> allocation in writepage path. IMO, it got slipped in with the
> >> discussions maybe only on mailing list but nothing in the commit
> >> messages or comments.[2]
> >>
> >> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20210628172727.1894503-1-agruenba@xxxxxxxxxx/
> >> [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20230130202150.pfohy5yg6dtu64ce@rh-tp/

> >> Based on the discussion so far, I would like to think of this as follow:
> >> We already have some sort of lazy iop allocation in the buffered I/O
> >> path (discussed above). This patch series does not changes that
> >> behavior. For now I would like to keep the page mkwrite page as is
> >> without any lazy iop allocation optimization.
> >> I am ok to pick this optimization work as a seperate series
> >> because, IIUC, Christoph has some ideas on deferring iop allocations
> >> even further [2] (from link shared above).
> >>
> >> Does that sound good?
> >>

> > Could you do that in two steps where the buffered I/O path variant is
> > replaced by explicit dirty tracking in the initial patch, and then is
> > restored by a subsequent patch in the same series? That would allow
>
> Sorry, I couldn't follow it. Can you please elaborate.

Sorry for the confusion...

> So, what I was suggesting was - for buffered I/O path we should continue
> to have the lazy iop allocation scheme whereever possible.
> Rest of the optimizations of further deferring the iop allocation
> including in the ->mkwrite path should be dealt seperately in a later
> patch series.

Yup, agree.

> Also we already have a seperate patch in this series which defers the
> iop allocation if the write completely overwrites the folio [1].
> Earlier the behavior was that it skips it entirely if the folio was
> uptodate, but since we require it for per-block dirty tracking, we
> defer iop allocation only if it was a complete overwrite of the folio.

That is a prepatory patch before iop dirty tracking is enabled in patch
5, right? I was mainly just suggesting to make the overwrite checking
part of this patch come after dirty tracking is enabled (as a small
optimization patch) rather than before.

I don't want to harp on it if that's difficult or still doesn't make
sense for some reason. I'll take a closer look the next go around when I
have a bit more time and just send a diff if it seems it can be done
cleanly..

Brian