RE: Re: FW: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] SMDK inspired MM changes for CXL

> [...]
>> class Graph:
>> 	def __init__(self, mydict):
>> 		self.dict = mydict
>> 		self.visited = set()
>> 		self.critical = list()
>> 		self.reach = dict()
>> 		self.id = 0
>> 	def depth_first_search(self, vertex, parent):
>> 		self.visited.add(vertex)
>> 		if vertex not in self.reach:
>> 			self.reach[vertex] = {'id':self.id, 'reach':self.id}
>> 			self.id += 1
>> 		for next_vertex in self.dict[vertex] - {parent}:
>> 			if next_vertex not in self.visited:
>> 				self.depth_first_search(next_vertex, vertex)
>> 			if self.reach[next_vertex]['reach'] < self.reach[vertex]['reach']:
>> 				self.reach[vertex]['reach'] = self.reach[next_vertex]['reach']
>> 		if parent != None and self.reach[vertex]['id'] ==
>> 		self.reach[vertex]['reach']:
>> 			self.critical.append([parent, vertex])
>> 		return self.critical
>>
>> critical = mygraph.depth_first_search("hostname-foo4", None)
>>
>> that way you could have a VM migrate between only two hypervisors
>> sharing switched memory, or pass through a subset of hypervisors (that
>> don't necessarily share switched memory) to reach it's
>> destination. This may be rack confined, or across a rack or even a pod
>> using critical connections.
>>
>> Long way of saying that if you do a) then the clustering/migration
>> script only sees a bunch of nodes and a bunch of normal zones it
>> wouldn't know how to build the "flight-path" and where to send a
>> VM. You'd probably have to add an additional interface in the kernel
>> for the script to query the paths somehow, where on the other hand
>> pulling things from proc/sys is easy.
>>

>> And then if you do b) and put it in an existing NUMA and with a
>> "Switched" type, you could potentially end up with several "Switched"
>> types under the same node. So when you numactl/move/migrate pages they
>> could go in either direction and you could send some pages through one
>> "portal" and others through another "portal", which is not what you
>> want to do.
>>
>> That's why I think the c option might be the most optimal, where each
>> switched memory has it's own node number. And then displaying type as
>> "Switched" just makes it easier to detect and Graph the topology.
>>

>> And with regards to an ABI, I was referring to an ABI needed between
>> the kernels running on separate hypervisors. When hypervisor B boots,
>> it needs to detect through an ABI if this switched/shared memory is
>> already initialized and if there are VMs in there which are used by
>> another hypervisor, say A. Also during the migration, hypervisors A
>> and B would have to use this ABI to synchronize the hand-off between
>> the two physical hosts. Not an all-inclusive list, but I was referring
>> to those types of scenarios.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
>It seems unnecessary to add a new zone type to mark a node with some
>attribute.  For example, in the following patch, a per-node attribute

Hi Dragan, could you please confirm if I understand the a,b correctly?
a = the flow of page move/migration among switched nodes. Here, the switch node is "b" as one single node.
b = a node that is composed of multiple CXL DRAM devices under single or multi-level switch.

Hi Ying,
ZONE_EXMEM not only means adding an attribute in a node, but also provides provisioning among CXL.mem channels.
To be specific, multiple CXL DRAM devices can be composed as ZONE_EXMEM using sysfs or cli[1], as a result userland is able to handle it as a single node.

[1] https://github.com/OpenMPDK/SMDK/wiki/4.-Kernel#n-way-grouping