Re: RE(2): FW: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] SMDK inspired MM changes for CXL

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 07:51:05PM +0900, Kyungsan Kim wrote:
> I appreciate dan for the careful advice.
>
> >Kyungsan Kim wrote:
> >[..]
> >>
> >> We also don't think a new zone is needed for every single memory
> >> device.  Our viewpoint is the sole ZONE_NORMAL becomes not enough to
> >> manage multiple volatile memory devices due to the increased device
> >> types.  Including CXL DRAM, we think the ZONE_EXMEM can be used to
> >> represent extended volatile memories that have different HW
> >> characteristics.
> >
> >Some advice for the LSF/MM discussion, the rationale will need to be
> >more than "we think the ZONE_EXMEM can be used to represent extended
> >volatile memories that have different HW characteristics". It needs to
> >be along the lines of "yes, to date Linux has been able to describe DDR
> >with NUMA effects, PMEM with high write overhead, and HBM with improved
> >bandwidth not necessarily latency, all without adding a new ZONE, but a
> >new ZONE is absolutely required now to enable use case FOO, or address
> >unfixable NUMA problem BAR." Without FOO and BAR to discuss the code
> >maintainability concern of "fewer degress of freedom in the ZONE
> >dimension" starts to dominate.
>
> One problem we experienced was occured in the combination of hot-remove and kerelspace allocation usecases.
> ZONE_NORMAL allows kernel context allocation, but it does not allow hot-remove because kernel resides all the time.
> ZONE_MOVABLE allows hot-remove due to the page migration, but it only allows userspace allocation.
> Alternatively, we allocated a kernel context out of ZONE_MOVABLE by adding GFP_MOVABLE flag.
> In case, oops and system hang has occasionally occured because ZONE_MOVABLE can be swapped.
> We resolved the issue using ZONE_EXMEM by allowing seletively choice of the two usecases.
> As you well know, among heterogeneous DRAM devices, CXL DRAM is the first PCIe basis device, which allows hot-pluggability, different RAS, and extended connectivity.
> So, we thought it could be a graceful approach adding a new zone and separately manage the new features.

This still does not describe what are the use cases that require having
kernel allocations on CXL.mem.

I believe it's important to start with explanation *why* it is important to
have kernel allocations on removable devices.

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.