Re: inotify on mmap writes

Thanks for correction. It has been a while for me and I thought
writepages may be the common denominator (vague memory of reads
blocking on DIO writeback with writepages casued me to believe it may
be the path for mmap)...most certainly it is ext4_page_mkwrite that
does get_block and and ends up with ll_rw_block(), so I stand
corrected.

Back to my point of tracking mmap writes to any region of a file. The
use case is to build on top of inotify to know dirty files and take
action as the app would wish - so this is more about completion of the
API to track all writes. Just saw patches in the works for splice() go
by, also in the same vein.

Ideally I would want to take the inotify interface further, by
returning offset/length information in the MODIFY event to further
assist user applications built on this interface. For vfs originated
events this would be at byte granularity, while for mmap originated
events this may be at page granularity - in any case this would be
valuable information surfaced up from the depths of the filesystem up
to userspace.

Thanks,
Amol