Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC]: File system data placement for zoned block devices

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 3:24 PM Johannes Thumshirn
<Johannes.Thumshirn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06.02.23 14:41, Hans Holmberg wrote:
> > Out of the upstream file systems, btrfs and f2fs supports
> > the zoned block device model. F2fs supports active data placement
> > by separating cold from hot data which helps in reducing gc,
> > but there is room for improvement.
>
> FYI, there's a patchset [1] from Boris for btrfs which uses different
> size classes to further parallelize placement. As of now it leaves out
> ZNS drives, as this can clash with the MOZ/MAZ limits but once active
> zone tracking is fully bug free^TM we should look into using these
> allocator hints for ZNS as well.

That looks like a great start!

Via that patch series I also found Josef's fsperf repo [1], which is
exactly what I have
been looking for: a set of common tests for file system performance. I hope that
it can be extended with longer-running tests doing several disk overwrites with
application-like workloads.

> The hot/cold data can be a 2nd placement hint, of cause, not just the
> different size classes of an extent.

Yes. I'll dig into the patches and see if I can figure out how that
could be done.

Cheers,
Hans

[1] https://github.com/josefbacik/fsperf