Re: replacement i_version counter for xfs

On Wed, 2023-01-25 at 08:32 -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 06:47:12AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:

> > > No, because we don't have official specification of the behaviour
> > > the nfsd subsystem requires merged into the kernel yet.
> > >

> > Ok. Hopefully that will be addressed in v6.3.

> > > There's nothing we can really do until the new specification is set
> > > in stone. Filing a bug report won't change anything material.
> > >
> > > As it is, I'm guessing that you desire the behaviour to be as you
> > > described in the iversion patchset you just posted. That is
> > > effectively:
> > >
> > >   * The change attribute (i_version) is mandated by NFSv4 and is mostly for
> > >   * knfsd, but is also used for other purposes (e.g. IMA). The i_version must
> > > - * appear different to observers if there was a change to the inode's data or
> > > - * metadata since it was last queried.
> > > + * appear larger to observers if there was an explicit change to the inode's
> > > + * data or metadata since it was last queried.
> > >
> > > i.e. the definition is changing from *any* metadata or data change
> > > to *explicit* metadata/data changes, right? i.e. it should only
> > > change when ctime changes?
> > >

> > Yes.
> >
> > > IIUC the rest of the justification for i_version is that ctime might
> > > lack the timestamp granularity to disambiguate sub-timestamp
> > > granularity changes, so i_version is needed to bridge that gap.
> > >
> > > Given that XFS has nanosecond timestamp resolution in the on-disk
> > > format, both i_version and ctime changes are journalled, and
> > > ctime/i_version will always change at exactly the same time in the
> > > same transactions, there are no inherent sub-timestamp granularity
> > > problems with ctime within XFS. Any deficiency in ctime resolution
> > > comes solely from the granularity of the VFS inode timestamp
> > > functions.
> > >
> > > And so if current_time() was to provide fine-grained nanosecond
> > > timestamp resolution for exported XFS filesystems (i.e. use
> > > ktime_get_real_ts64() conditionally), then it seems to me that the
> > > nfsd i_version function becomes completely redundant.
> > >
> > > i.e. we are pretty much guaranteed that ctime on exported
> > > filesystems will always be different for explicit modifications to
> > > the same inode, and hence we can just use ctime as the version
> > > change identifier without needing any on-disk format changes at all.
> > >
> > > And we can optimise away that overhead when the filesystem is not
> > > exported by just using the coarse timestamps because there is no
> > > need for sub-timer-tick disambiguation of single file
> > > modifications....
> > >

> > Ok, so conditional on (maybe) a per fstype flag, and whether the
> > filesystem is exported?
> >
> > It's not trivial to tell whether something is exported though. We
> > typically only do that sort of checking within nfsd. That involves an
> > upcall into mountd, at a minimum.
> >
> > I don't think you want to be plumbing calls to exportfs into xfs for
> > this. It may be simpler to just add a new on-disk counter and be done
> > with it.

> [...]

That's a great question! There is a related one too once I started
looking at this in more detail:

Most filesystems end up updating the timestamp via a the call to
file_update_time in __generic_file_write_iter. Today, that's called very
early in the function and if it fails, the write fails without changing
anything.

What do we do now if the write succeeds, but update_time fails? We don't
want to return an error on the write() since the data did get copied in.
Ignoring it seems wrong too though. There could even be some way to
exploit that by changing the contents while holding the timestamp and
version constant.

At this point I'm leaning toward leaving the ctime and i_version to be
updated before the write, and just bumping the i_version a second time
after. In most cases the second bump will end up being a no-op, unless
an i_version query races in between.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>