Re: [RFC 0/3] Shut down frozen filesystems on last unmount

Hi Andreas!

On Wed 30-11-22 00:07:32, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> currently, when a frozen filesystem is unmouted, it turns into a zombie
> rather than being shut down; it can only be shut down after remounting
> and thawing it.  That's silly for local filesystems, but it's worse for
> filesystems like gfs2 which freeze the filesystem on all nodes when
> fsfreeze is called on any of the nodes: there, the nodes that didn't
> initiate the freeze cannot shut down the filesystem at all.

I agree this situation is suboptimal ;)

> This is a non-working, first shot at allowing filesystems to shut down
> on the last unmount.  Could you please have a look to let me know if
> something like this makes sense?

So I had a look at the patches and I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of
this approach. For example if there's a utility doing disk image copy and
the filesystem gets unmounted, it could result in an inconsistent copy
AFAICT. Not for GFS2 as you argue but it seems a bit dangerous to provide
API that makes it easy to screw up. Also I dislike the fact that different
filesystem would behave differently wrt umount & freezing. Why cannot we
just block unmount when the filesystem is frozen like any other write
operation? I understand locking-wise it is a bit challenging because we
have to block in a place where we don't hold s_umount semaphore but
logically it would make sense to me. What do you think?

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR