Re: Feature proposal: support file content integrity verification based on fs-verity

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 9:19 PM Gmail <liuj97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello fuse-devel,
>
> The fs-verity framework provides file content integrity verification services for filesystems. Currently ext4/btrfs/f2fs has enabled support for fs-verity. Here I would like to propose implementing FUSE file content integrity verification based on fs-verity.
>
> Our current main use case is to support integrity verification for confidential containers using virtio-fs. With the new integrity verification feature, we can ensure that files from virtio-fs are trusted and fs-verity root digests are available for remote attestation. The integrity verification feature can also be used to support other FUSE based solutions.
I'd argue FUSE isn't the right layer for supporting fs-verity
verification.  The verification can happen in the read path of
virtio-fs (or any FUSE-based filesystem).  In fact, Android is already
doing this in "authfs" fully in userspace.

Although FUSE lacks the support of "unrestricted" ioctl, which makes
it impossible for the filesystem to receive the fs-verity ioctls.
Same to statx.  I think that's where we'd need a change in FUSE
protocol.