Re: thoughts about fanotify and HSM

On Mon 07-11-22 16:13:37, Amir Goldstein wrote:

> > > I like the idea of using POST_WRITE instead of holding sb_writers.

> > > Our customer use cases may have many millions of dirs.
> > > I don't think this solution will be scalable, which is why I use the
> > > alternating groups to invalidate all the existing ignore marks at once.
> >
> > I see. Well, we could also extend FAN_MARK_FLUSH so that you can just
> > remove all ignore marks from a group so that you don't have to remove them
> > one-by-one and don't have to switch to a new group. In principle group
> > teardown does the same. It would allow large scale as well as small scale
> > users use very similar scheme with single group for switching periods.
> >

> Maybe so, I need to try it to see if it can scale.
>
> But note that in the alternating group scheme we do NOT need to wait for
> the old group teardown to complete before returning the results of the query:
> 1. group T+1 subscribes to some events with FAN_MARK_SYNC
> 2. group T unsubscribes from those events
>
> Step 2 can be done in the background.
> The query which returns all the files modified between checkpoints T..T+1
> can already return the changes recorded by group T while group T is
> shutting down and cleaning up all the evictable marks.

I agree. With my scheme with a single group we first need to remove the
ignore marks before we can report events for T and start collecting events
for T+1. Total amount of work is going to be the same but latency of
reporting is going to be higher. I'd just think that it would not be too bad
but it needs to be measured. Also from the scheme you've described the
declaration of a checkpoint didn't seem like a latency sensitive operation?

> > > But I agree that alternating groups should not be a requirement for HSM
> > > and that for watching smaller subtrees, your suggestion makes more sense.

> > > If I am not mistaken, CHECKPOINT_PENDING vs. alternating groups
> > > is an implementation detail for the HSM.
> > >
> > > PRE_WRITE/POST_WRITE and FAN_MARK_SYNC APIs are needed
> > > for both the implementations (single group scheme needs to flush all
> > > ignore marks with FAN_MARK_SYNC).
> >
> > So why would be FAN_MARK_SYNC needed for the single group scheme? From the
> > kernel POV the scheme I have proposed does not require any new API changes
> > besides the POST_WRITE event AFAICT. And possibly FAN_MARK_FLUSH tweak for
> > more efficient removal of ignore marks. We don't even need the filesystem
> > freezing (modulo the buffered vs direct IO discussion below).
> >

> Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding is that after:
> 3) Remove ignore marks we need to remove.
> a PRE_WRITE event may still be in send_to_group()
> with one of the "removed" ignore marks and be ignored.
>
> So it is not safe to:
> 4) Switch to new period & clear CHECKPOINT_PENDING

Well, but we'd still get the POST_WRITE event, evaluate this as a write
straddling checkpoint and include the file into the set of changed files
for checkpoint T+1 or later. So I don't think synchronize_srcu() is needed
anywhere?

> My understanding is that
> synchronize_srcu(&fsnotify_mark_srcu);
> is needed as barrier between 3) and 4)
>
> In any case, even if CHECKPOINT_PENDING can work,
> with or without FAN_MARK_SYNC, to me personally, understanding
> the proof of correctness of alternating groups model is very easy,
> while proving correctness for CHECKPOINT_PENDING model is
> something that I was not yet able to accomplish.

I agree the scheme with CHECKPOINT_PENDING isn't easy to reason about but I
don't find your scheme with two groups simpler ;) Let me try to write down
rationale for my scheme, I think I can even somewhat simplify it:

Write operation consists of:
generate PRE_WRITE on F
modify data of F
generate POST_WRITE on F

Checkpoint consists of:
clear ignore marks
report files for which we received PRE_WRITE or POST_WRITE until this
moment

And the invariant we try to provide is: If file F was modified during
checkpoint T, then we report F as modified during T or some later
checkpoint. Where it is matter of quality of implementation that "some
later checkpoint" isn't too much later than T but it depends on the
frequency of checkpoints, the length of notification queue, etc. so it is
difficult to give hard guarantees.

And the argument why the scheme maintains the invariant is that if
POST_WRITE is generated after "clear ignore marks" finishes, it will get
delivered and thus F will get reported as modified in some checkpoint once
the event is processed. If POST_WRITE gets generated before "clear ignore
marks" finishes and F is among ignored inodes, it means F is already in
modified set so it will get reported as part of checkpoint T. Also
application will already see modified data when processing list of modified
files in checkpoint T.

Simple and we don't even need PRE_WRITE here. But maybe you wanted to
provide stronger invariant? Like "you are not able to see modified data
without seeing F as modified?" But what exactly would be a guarantee here?
I feel I'm missing something here but I cannot quite grasp it at this
moment...

> > > I am going to try to implement the PRE/POST_WRITE events and for
> > > POC I may start with a single group because it may be easier or I may
> > > implement both schemes, we'll see.
> >
> > That would be great. Thank you. Perhaps I'm missing something in my mental
> > model which would make things impractical :)
> >

> Me too. I won't know before I try.
>
> FYI, at the moment I am considering not allowing independent
> subscription for PRE/POST_XXX events, but only subscribe to
> XXX events and a group with class FAN_CLASS_VFS_FILTER
> will get both PRE/POST_XXX and won't be able to subscribe
> to XXX events that do not have PRE_XXX events.
>
> The rationale is that if a group subscribes to either PRE/POST_XXX
> XXX() operation is not going to be on the fast path anyway.
>
> This will make it easier to support more PRE/POST_XXX events
> without using up all the remaining 32bits namespace.
>
> Using the high 32bits of mask for PRE events and folding them
> in the object interest mask with the low 32bit is another thing
> that I was considering in case you would prefer to allow
> independent subscription for PRE/POST_XXX events.

So one question: Do you see anything else than POST_WRITE as being useful?
For directory operations it seems pointless as they hold i_rwsem exclusively
so I don't see useful distinction between PRE and POST event. For OPEN and
CLOSE I don't see use either. ACCESS might be the only one where PRE and
POST would both be useful for something.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR