Re: thoughts about fanotify and HSM

[reducing CC]

> > The other use case of automatic inode marks I was thinking about,
> > which are even more relevant for $SUBJECT is this:
> > When instantiating a dentry with an inode that has xattr
> > "security.fanotify.mask" (a.k.a. persistent inode mark), an inode
> > mark could be auto created and attached to a group with a special sb
> > mark (we can limit a single special mark per sb).
> > This could be implemented similar to get_acl(), where i_fsnotify_mask
> > is always initialized with a special value (i.e. FS_UNINITIALIZED)
> > which is set to either 0 or non-zero if "security.fanotify.mask" exists.
> >
> > The details of how such an API would look like are very unclear to me,
> > so I will try to focus on the recursive auto inode mark idea.
>
> Yeah, although initializing fanotify marks based on xattrs does not look
> completely crazy I can see a lot of open questions there so I think
> automatic inode mark idea has more chances for success at this point :).

I realized that there is one sort of "persistent mark" who raises
less questions - one that only has an ignore mask.

ignore masks can have a "static" namespace that is not bound to any
specific group, but rather a set of groups that join this namespace.

I played with this idea and wrote some patches:
https://github.com/amir73il/linux/commits/fan_xattr_ignore_mask

This may end up being useful in the HSM POC - i.e., HSM places
persistent ignore mask for permission events for populated dirs/files
and removes the persistent mask before punching a hole.

Haven't forgotten about the promised wiki.
For now, I just wanted to share this idea.

Thanks,
Amir.