Re: folio_map

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 08:38:52PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 01:29:35PM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 07:08:22PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > > Some of you will already know all this, but I'll go into a certain amount
> > > of detail for the peanut gallery.
> > >
> > > One of the problems that people want to solve with multi-page folios
> > > is supporting filesystem block sizes > PAGE_SIZE.  Such filesystems
> > > already exist; you can happily create a 64kB block size filesystem on
> > > a PPC/ARM/... today, then fail to mount it on an x86 machine.
> > >
> > > kmap_local_folio() only lets you map a single page from a folio.
> > > This works for the majority of cases (eg ->write_begin() works on a
> > > per-page basis *anyway*, so we can just map a single page from the folio).
> > > But this is somewhat hampering for ext2_get_page(), used for directory
> > > handling.  A directory record may cross a page boundary (because it
> > > wasn't a page boundary on the machine which created the filesystem),
> > > and juggling two pages being mapped at once is tricky with the stack
> > > model for kmap_local.
> > >
> > > I don't particularly want to invest heavily in optimising for HIGHMEM.
> > > The number of machines which will use multi-page folios and HIGHMEM is
> > > not going to be large, one hopes, as 64-bit kernels are far more common.
> > > I'm happy for 32-bit to be slow, as long as it works.
> > >
> > > For these reasons, I proposing the logical equivalent to this:
> > >
> > > +void *folio_map_local(struct folio *folio)
> > > +{
> > > +       if (!IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_HIGHMEM))
> > > +               return folio_address(folio);
> > > +       if (!folio_test_large(folio))
> > > +               return kmap_local_page(&folio->page);
> > > +       return vmap_folio(folio);
> > > +}
> > > +
> > > +void folio_unmap_local(const void *addr)
> > > +{
> > > +       if (!IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_HIGHMEM))
> > > +               return;
> > > +       if (is_vmalloc_addr(addr))
> > > +               vunmap(addr);
> > > +	else
> > > +       	kunmap_local(addr);
> > > +}
> > >
> > > (where vmap_folio() is a new function that works a lot like vmap(),
> > > chunks of this get moved out-of-line, etc, etc., but this concept)
> >
> > So it aims at replacing kmap_local_page(), but for folios, right?
> > kmap_local_page() interface can be used from any context, but vmap helpers
> > might_sleep(). How do we rectify this?
>
> I'm not proposing getting rid of kmap_local_folio().  That should still
> exist and work for users who need to use it in atomic context.  Indeed,
> I'm intending to put a note in the doc for folio_map_local() suggesting
> that users may prefer to use kmap_local_folio().  Good idea to put a
> might_sleep() in folio_map_local() though.

There is also a semantic miss-match WRT the unmapping order.  But I think
Kirill brings up a bigger issue.

How many folios do you think will need to be mapped at a time?  And is there
any practical limit on their size?  Are 64k blocks a reasonable upper bound
until highmem can be deprecated completely?

I say this because I'm not sure that mapping a 64k block would always fail.
These mappings are transitory.  How often will a filesystem be mapping more
than 2 folios at once?

In our conversions most of the time 2 pages are mapped at once,
source/destination.

That said, to help ensure that a full folio map never fails we could increase
the number of pages supported by kmap_local_page().  At first, I was not a fan
but that would only be a penalty for HIGHMEM systems.  And as we are not
optimizing for such systems I'm not sure I see a downside to increasing the
limit to 32 or even 64.  I'm also inclined to believe that HIGHMEM systems are
smaller core counts.  So I don't think this is likely to multiply the space
wasted much.

Would doubling the support within kmap_local_page() be enough?

A final idea would be to hide the increase behind a 'support large block size
filesystems' config option under HIGHMEM systems.  But I'm really not sure that
is even needed.

Ira