Re: [RFC: kdevops] Standardizing on failure rate nomenclature for expunges

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 10:58 AM Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> bug, too.
>
> However, I think these should be run by QE environments all the time
> as they require long term, frequent execution across different
> configs in different environments to find the deep dark corners
> where the bugs may lie dormant. These are the tests that find things
> like subtle timing races no other tests ever exercise.
>
> I suspect that tests that alter their behaviour via LOAD_FACTOR or
> TIME_FACTOR will fall into this category.
>
> > I think MTBF is the standard way to describe reliability
> > of such tests, but I am having a hard time imagining how
> > the community can manage to document accurate annotations
> > of this sort, so I would stick with documenting the facts
> > (i.e. the test fails after N runs).
>
> I'm unsure of what "reliablity of such tests" means in this context.
> The tests are trying to exercise and measure the reliability of the
> kernel code - if the *test is unreliable* then that says to me the
> test needs fixing. If the test is reliable, then any failures that
> occur indicate that the filesystem/kernel/fs tools are unreliable,
> not the test....
>
> "test reliability" and "reliability of filesystem under test" are
> different things with similar names. The latter is what I think we
> are talking about measuring and reporting here, right?
>
> > OTOH, we do have deterministic tests, maybe even the majority of
> > fstests are deterministic(?)
>
> Very likely. As a generalisation, I'd say that anything that has a
> fixed, single step at a time recipe and a very well defined golden
> output or exact output comparison match is likely deterministic.
>
> We use things like 'within tolerance' so that slight variations in
> test results don't cause spurious failures and hence make the test
> more deterministic.  Hence any test that uses 'within_tolerance' is
> probably a test that is expecting deterministic behaviour....
>
> > Considering that every auto test loop takes ~2 hours on our rig and that
> > I have been running over 100 loops over the past two weeks, if half
> > of fstests are deterministic, that is a lot of wait time and a lot of carbon
> > emission gone to waste.
> >
> > It would have been nice if I was able to exclude a "deterministic" group.
> > The problem is - can a developer ever tag a test as being "deterministic"?
>
> fstests allows private exclude lists to be used - perhaps these
> could be used to start building such a group for your test
> environment. Building a list from the tests you never see fail in
> your environment could be a good way to seed such a group...
>
> Maybe you have all the raw results from those hundreds of tests
> sitting around - what does crunching that data look like? Who else
> has large sets of consistent historic data sitting around? I don't
> because I pollute my results archive by frequently running varied
> and badly broken kernels through fstests, but people who just run
> released or stable kernels may have data sets that could be used....

I have no historic data of that sort and I have never stayed on the
same test system long enough to collect this sort of data.

Josef has told us in LPC 2021 about his btrfs fstests dashboard
where he started to collect historical data a while ago.

Collaborating on expunge lists of different fs and different
kernel/config/distro
is one of the goals behind Luis's kdevops project.

For now, the expunge lists are curated in git:
https://github.com/linux-kdevops/kdevops/tree/master/workflows/fstests/expunges
Going forward, this cannot scale. If we want to collaborate and
collect results from
multiple testers and test labs we should consult with the KernelCI
project, who are
doing exactly that for other test suites.

You did not attend Luis' talk in LSFMM this year (he has already mentioned
kdevops back in LSFMM 2019), where some of these issues were discussed.
The video from LSFMM 2022 talk should be available in coming weeks.
I hear that Luis is also planning on giving a talk to a wider audience
in LPC 2022.

Thanks,
Amir.