Re: [net-next v4 0/3] use standard sysctl macro

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:44:12 -0700 Luis Chamberlain wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 03:01:38PM +0800, xiangxia.m.yue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > From: Tonghao Zhang <xiangxia.m.yue@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > This patchset introduce sysctl macro or replace var
> > with macro.
> >
> > Tonghao Zhang (3):
> >   net: sysctl: use shared sysctl macro
> >   net: sysctl: introduce sysctl SYSCTL_THREE
> >   selftests/sysctl: add sysctl macro test
>
> I see these are based on net-next, to avoid conflicts with
> sysctl development this may be best based on sysctl-next
> though. Jakub?

I guess the base should be whatever we are going to use as
a base for a branch, the branch we can both pull in?

How many patches like that do you see flying around, tho?
I feel like I've seen at least 3 - netfilter, net core and bpf.
It's starting to feel like we should have one patch that adds all
the constants and self test, put that in a branch anyone can pull in,
and then do the conversions in separate patches..

Option number two - rename the statics in the subsystems to SYSCTL_x,
and we can do a much smaller cleanup in the next cycle which would
replace those with a centralized instances? That should have minimal
chance of conflicts so no need to do special branches.

Option number three defer all this until the merge window.