Re: [EXT] [LSF/MM/BPF BoF] BoF for Zoned Storage

On 3/15/22 1:04 PM, Bean Huo (beanhuo) wrote:
> [...]

All of this is duplicated info too, it just makes your emails have poor
signal to noise ratio...

>> CAUTION: EXTERNAL EMAIL. Do not click links or open attachments unless you
>> recognize the sender and were expecting this message.

Same

>>> Micron Confidential
>>

>>> Micron Confidential
>>
>> Must be very confidential if it needs two?
>>
>> Please get rid of these useless disclaimers in public emails, they make ZERO sense.
>>

> Sorry for that. They are added by outlook automatically, seems I can
> turn it off, let me see if this email has this message.

In general, advise for open source or open list emails:

- Don't include any "Foo company confidential", which by definition is
  nonsensical because the email is sent out publically.

- Wrap lines in emails. Wrapping them at 74 chars or something like that
  makes them a LOT easier to read, and means I don't have to wrap your
  replies when I reply.

- Don't include huge headers of who got the email. That part is in the
  email headers already, and it's just noise in the body of the email.

- Trim replies! Nothing worse than browsing page after page of just
  quoted text to get to the meat of it.

That's just the basics, but it goes a long way towards making email a
more useful medium. And making the sender/company look like they
understand how open source collaborations and communication works.

--
Jens Axboe