Re: Fwd: Bug: lockf returns false-positive EDEADLK in multiprocess multithreaded environment

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 2:21 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2022-01-31 at 12:37 +0300, Ivan Zuboff wrote:
> > Hello, Jeff!
> >
> > Several weeks ago I mailed linux-fsdevel about some weird behavior
> > I've found. To me, it looks like a bug. Unfortunately, I've got no
> > response, so I decided to forward this message to you directly.
> >
> > Sorry for the interruption and for my bad English -- it's not my
> > native language.
> >
> > Hope to hear your opinion on this!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ivan
> >

> Sorry I missed your message. Re-cc'ing linux-fsdevel, so others can join
> in on the discussion:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I've considered OFD locks and flock for my specific task, and
flock seemed the more reasonable solution because of its portability
(which is valuable for my task). So my specific problem is indeed
solved, I just wanted to warn kernel developers about such kind of
unexpectable behavior deep under the hood. I thought that maybe if the
algorithm in locks.c can't detect deadlock without such false
positives then maybe it shouldn't try to do it at all? I have no
specific stance on this question, I just wanted to inform the people
who may care about it and maybe would want to do something about it.

At least there will be messages in mailing list archives explaining
the situation for people who will face the same problem -- not bad in
itself!

Best regards,
Ivan