libblkid merged into util-linux-ng

 I've merged the topic/blkid branch into the master branch (upcoming
 util-linux-ng 2.15).

 Note that the library and blkid binary are still "experimental",
 although I don't expect any API changes.

 Feedback and bug reports are welcomed...

    Karel

 New libblkid features:
 ---------------------

 * backwardly compatible ABI and API with old libblkid from e2fsprogs

 * low-level probing interface:

     - blkid_probe_* functions

     - /sbin/blkid -p <device>

 * vol_id compatible output format (e.g. "ID_FS_LABEL_ENC=\x2fboot"):

     - blkid -p -o udev <device>

 * very high-level interface for LABELs/UUIDs evaluation:

    - blkid_evaluate_spec()

    - /sbin/blkid -L <label> | -U <uuid>

   it's strongly recommended to use this interface in your applications
   or scripts. The interface is configurable (by /etc/blkid.conf) and
   works on 2.4, 2.6, udev or non-udev systems.

   It's always better to use /sbin/blkid -L|-U than directly read
   /dev/disk/by-{label,uuid} symlinks.

 * /etc/blkid.conf config file, options are:

   EVALUATE=<method>[,<method>]  # methods are udev and scan;
                                 # default: udev,scan

   SEND_UEVENT=<yes|not>         # send uevent when disk/by-*
                                 # symlink is not valid; default: yes

   CACHE_FILE=<path>             # default: /etc/blkid.tab

 * 24 FS/raid images for blkid regression tests

 TODO
 ----

 e2fsprogs:

    - add --disable-blkid
    - #ifdef BUILD_BLKID for findfs code in tune2fs.c
    - freeze <major>.<minor> libblkid version numbers, the libblkid in
      e2fsprogs should be open for bug fixes or new filesystems only.

 udev:
    - add --disable-volumeid
    - test blkid within udev rules

 - add command line interface for blkid_probe_filter_usage():

	   # blkid -p -o udev --filter-usage filesystems

       # blkid -p -o udev --filter-usage noraid

   and blkid_probe_filter_types():

       # blkid -p -o udev --filter-type nofat

   note that "--filter-usage" is necessary for compatibility with vol_id where
   we in udev rules use things like "vol_id --skip-raid"

 - use blkid_evaluate_spec() in mount, umount, swapon and fsck

 - move fsck to util-linux-ng (we already have some old patches
   from Christoph Hellwig and Matthias Koenig)

 - documentation (probably generated from source code)

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>