Re: WARNING: at fs/buffer.c:1250 mark_buffer_dirty+0x7c/0x90()

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I've seen this warning on 2.6.29-rc3 when I removed a iSCSI device without
> unmounting a filesystem on it:

You can ignore this warning. There's a long-standing issue where it will
print warnings after the superblock has failed to be written out. When
that happens, the regular endio handler marks it !uptodate. The warning
occurs when another attempt is made to write it out since it's not
marked uptodate again. The superblock is special in that it is read once
at mount, and then write-only afterwards, so the concept of !uptodate
doesn't really apply.

I posted a patch to work around this some time ago, but it's only a
temporary fix. I suspect that nobody's tackled this because the handling
is in jbd and the superblock is a special case.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney
SUSE Labs