Re: problem with exfat on 4k logical sector devices

On 5/11/21 4:21 PM, Namjae Jeon wrote:
>> Hi Namjae -
> Hi Eric,
>>
>> It seems that exfat is unhappy on 4k logical sector size devices:
> Thanks for your report!
> We have got same report from Christophe Vu-Brugier. And he sent us
> the patch(https://github.com/exfatprogs/exfatprogs/pull/164) to fix it
> yesterday.(Thanks Christophe!), I will check it today

Oh, good timing! ;)

gI'll try to look at that in more depth. It does seem to make everything
work for me, and resolves a couple other misunderstandings I may have had, and
they seem to match with the spec.

For example, I now see that boot sector signature does go at the end of 512 for
the primary boot sector, and at the end of $SECTOR_SIZE for the extended boot
sector.

One other thing that I ran across is that fsck seems to validate an image
against the sector size of the device hosting the image rather than the sector size
found in the boot sector, which seems like another issue that will come up:

# fsck/fsck.exfat /dev/sdb
exfatprogs version : 1.1.1
/dev/sdb: clean. directories 1, files 0

# dd if=/dev/sdb of=test.img
524288+0 records in
524288+0 records out
268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 1.27619 s, 210 MB/s

# fsck.exfat test.img
exfatprogs version : 1.1.1
checksum of boot region is not correct. 0, but expected 0x3ee721
boot region is corrupted. try to restore the region from backup. Fix (y/N)? n

Right now the utilities seem to assume that the device they're pointed at is
always a block device, and image files are problematic.

Also, as an aside, it might be useful to have a "set sector size" commandline
option at least for testing, or to create 4k images that could be transferred
to a 4k device.

Thanks,
-Eric