Re: PROBLEM: hfsplus filesystem allows opendir() on plain files

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 09:53:51AM +0100, Damian Stewart wrote:
> This issue came up because at least one major project (the VLC video
> player) is using 'opendir()' to determine whether or not a path is a file
> or directory. (They probably ought to be using 'stat()', but they're not,
> so this issue shows up.)

Unless they're already needing to open any directories they check, doing
an opendir call to check a file type seems less than ideal. Hopefully
they had a reason, but I know how that sort of thing can happen.

> I've reported it on the VLC forums but only got very dismissive replies.
> The few developers who posted bluntly said it was a 'kernel bug' so they
> weren't willing to do anything about it; which is a shame, because it
> leaves those VLC users with videos on HFS+ drives unable to play their
> videos with the latest version of VLC.

Well, I actually tend to agree that it is less than ideal behavior
on the part of the kernel in spite of thinking that they are doing
something stupid. It really ought to work.

> Anyways, perhaps your suggestion is the right one, in this case.

We'll see what comes out of this.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx