Re: Suspected problem w/ autofs and xauth

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Jeff Moyer wrote:

Steven Hirsch <snhirsch@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I've been battling with an extremely annoying issue that I believe is
related to autofs.  My home directory is mounted over NFS using autofs
4.1.4 (as supplied with Kubuntu Hardy).  I've used this setup for
years over perhaps a dozen different distributions without any
particular problems.

Since moving to the Hardy distro, the problem is this:  If I leave the
system idle at the KDE desktop for more than a few minutes, any and
all attempts at opening new windows fail with an error that they
cannot obtain X authorization.  If I simply do an 'ls' in my home
directory and try again, it works fine.  I believe this is being
caused by the automounter timing out, but I do not find any log
messages from the automounter under any circumstances, so it's
difficult to prove.  If I do an strace on the X application, it
appears to be unable to read ~/.Xauthority (which is there and can be
read after triggering a remount).

Is it possible that autofs behavior changed in a manner such that a
stat of ~/.Xauthority is no longer sufficient to trigger the mounter?

Any suggestions (or even WAGs) appreciated.  I'd love to swat this
annoyance.

In theory, the directory shouldn't be unmounted.  Try typing just
'mount' to see what's mounted when the problem occurs.  What's the
kernel version?

I have accidently discovered a workaround, which may provide a hint as to the failure mode: For performance, I had been mounting my home directory with 'noatime' specified as an option. On a whim, I deleted that and let it take the default (seems to be relatime). Lo and behold, the problem is gone!

I will revert this as soon as I get an opportunity and see what is mounted (or not, as the case may be) when the symptoms appear.

Steve