Re: [rfc][patch 2/3] fs: sync_sb_inodes fix

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 04:10:47PM +0100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Static branch hint instruction could indeed turn off dynamic prediction
> so in that cause it would always mispredict even if the workload was
> continually going the other way.

It's not just turning them off.  In many cpu microarchitectures a wrong
static prediction means an pipeline stall that's much worse than a
dynamic mispredict because that information is interpreted much deeper
in the pipeline.

Please just don't use likely/unlikely unless really nessecary.

> However, I think you have to consider frequency, and also relative
> importance of each case. This is going to be taken on sys_sync, and
> sys_umount. And not taken for pdflush writeout.

Yes.  So dynamic branch prediction will get this perfectly right on
any reasonable CPU.

> > > +			/* see dquot.c comment */
> >
> > Not an exactly useful comment :)
>
> /* see fs/dquot.c:add_dquot_ref() comment */ ?
>
> Thanks, I will repost with these changes after waiting for more feedback.

Please just copy the comment over.  Looking somewhere else to follow
a comment is not very nice (and this is the more important file compared
to dquot.c anyway :))