Re: thin provisioned LUN support

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

Why do most people assume that sending unmap/trim commands for every
deletet extent ASAP is a good idea?

I agree with you. Thus my earlier assertion:

- trim/unmap for SSD garbage collection has a different goal
  than trim/unmap for thin provisioning.

In the SSD garbage collector mode, we want to send them as fast
as we can (per the Intel SSD architect).  This allows them to
do their optimizations.

In the Thin Provision mode, we want to delay them as you said:

So I think not actually doing these on every alloc/free is a good idea.
Instead the filesystem would free bits when big enough regions happen,

to be filesystem friendly.

But this won't change the block layer.  This is a per-filesystem
coding issue to decide when to send the discard.

jim