Re: thin provisioned LUN support & file system allocation policy

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, jim owens wrote:

Ric Wheeler wrote:

The type of allocation that would help most is something that tries to keep the lower block ranges "hot" for allocation, second best policy would simply keep the allocated blocks in each block group hot and re-allocate them.

This block reuse policy ignores the issue of wear leveling...
as in most design things, trading one problem for another.

For SSDs we're being told not to worry our pretty little heads about wear levelling. That gets done for us, with varying degrees of competence, within the black box. All we can do to improve that is pray... and maybe sacrifice the occasional goat.

--
dwmw2