Re: interface to ask is a file is hidden

> But either follow the de-facto
> standard that ls has set 30 years or more ago

The standard you're talking about is for Unix systems that have Unix
filesystems contained within them.  But today, one can use a Unix system
to look at a directory full of files that were created in a Windows
culture.  In that case it would be suboptimal to hide the files whose
names start with "." and show the rest.  The person who set up that
directory didn't intend that.

This is a pretty difficult requirement -- It might even be infeasible to
satisfy it.  But I think it's real.  The creator of a file either intended
for it to be omitted from common views or he didn't, and it would be nice
if there were a simple and reliable way for a file viewer to discern
which.

Personally, I'm not even qualified to guess at what a user wants to be
hidden, because I decided long ago that hidden files were not in my best
interest and I always set up 'ls' to show everything but . and .. .

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Storage Systems