Re: interface to ask is a file is hidden

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:00:28PM +0200, Nicol�ieffo wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 03:21:04PM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:
> >
> > > What files are determined as "hidden" is completely up to the application, and
> > > not the filesystem.  Every linux filesystem is going to return all entries in a
> > > directory when you do a readdir, and then it is up to the app to cull which
> > > entries it doesn't want.  Having the fs/vfs arbitrarily decide which files are
> > > "hidden" and shouldn't be returned via readdir is not the correct way to tackle
> > > this problem, it should be decided via the application.
> >
> > Ok, maybe I was not clear in my request
> >
> > As if it's a way to get the size of a file, and this way is common to
> > all filesystem (tell me if I'm wrong), we request a common way to ask
> > if the file is hidden.
>
> You realie that except for filesystems that are legacy compatible with
> Microsoft, the concept of "hidden file" simply doesn't exist?  So when
> you say:

I think it's irrelevant what the [extended] attribute is.

The real question is how to handle (and standardise) them efficiently and
cleanly. Files can have quite a lot of properties (extended attributes),
there are more and more requests for them every day.

New, efficient, extended getdents based on a provided attribute interest
list?

Regards,
	   Szaka

--