Re: xattr names for unprivileged stacking?

* Christian Schoenebeck (qemu_oss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Dienstag, 4. August 2020 13:28:01 CEST Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > > Well, depends on how large you draw the scope here. For instance Samba has
> > > a bunch VFS modules which also uses and hence prohibits certain xattrs.
> > > For instance for supporting (NTFS) alternate data streams (a.k.a.
> > > resource forks) of Windows clients it uses user.DosStream.*:
> > >
> > > https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_streams_xattr.8.html
> > >
> > > as well as "user.DOSATTRIB".
> > >
> > > And as macOS heavily relies on resource forks (i.e. macOS doesn't work
> > > without them), there are a bunch of xattr remappings in the dedicated
> > > Apple VFS module, like "aapl_*":
> > >
> > > https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_fruit.8.html
> > > https://github.com/samba-team/samba/blob/master/source3/modules/vfs_fruit.
> >
> > Thanks;  what I've added to virtiofsd at the moment is a generic
> > remapping thing that lets me add any prefix and block/drop any xattr.
>
> Right, makes absolutely sense to make it configurable. There are too many use
> cases for xattrs, and the precise xattr names are often configurable as well,
> like with the mentioned Samba VFS modules.
>
> > The other samba-ism I found was mvxattr(1) which lets you rename xattr's
> > ona  directory tree; which is quite useful.
>
> Haven't seen that before, interesting.
>
> BTW, I have plans for adding support for file forks [1] (a.k.a. alternate
> streams, a.k.a. resource forks) on Linux kernel side, so I will probably come
> up with an RFC in couple weeks to see whether there would be acceptance for
> that at all and if yes in which form.
>
> That would open a similar problematic to virtiofsd on the long term, as file
> forks have a namespace on their own.

Yeh I'm sure that'll need wiring into lots of things in weird ways!
I guess the main difference between an extended attribute and a
file-fork is that you can access the fork using an fd and it feels more
like a file?

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx / Manchester, UK