Re: [RFC v2 0/9] Replacing the readpages a_op

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 06:38:34PM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> This is an attempt to add a ->readahead op to replace ->readpages.  I've
> converted two users, iomap/xfs and cifs.  The cifs conversion is lacking
> fscache support, and that's just because I didn't want to do that work;
> I don't believe there's anything fundamental to it.  But I wanted to do
> iomap because it is The Infrastructure Of The Future and cifs because it
> is the sole remaining user of add_to_page_cache_locked(), which enables
> the last two patches in the series.  By the way, that gives CIFS access
> to the workingset shadow infrastructure, which it had to ignore before
> because it couldn't put pages onto the lru list at the right time.
>
> v2: Chris asked me to show what this would look like if we just have
> the implementation look up the pages in the page cache, and I managed
> to figure out some things I'd done wrong last time.  It's even simpler
> than v1 (net 104 lines deleted).

I want to discuss whether to change the page refcount guarantees while we're
changing the API.  Currently,

page is allocated with a refcount of 1
page is locked, and inserted into page cache and refcount is bumped to 2
->readahead is called
callee is supposed to call put_page() after submitting I/O
I/O completion will unlock the page after I/O completes, leaving the refcount at 1.

So, what if we leave the refcount at 1 throughout the submission process,
saving ourselves two atomic ops per page?  We have to ensure that after
the page is submitted for I/O, the submission path no longer touches
the page.  So the process of converting a filesystem to ->readahead
becomes slightly more complex, but there's a bugger win as a result.

Opinions?