Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Congestion

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:53 AM Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue 07-01-20 01:23:38, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > More helpful
> > would be, what should distributions be doing better to avoid the
> > problem in the first place? User space oom daemons are now popular,
> > and there's talk about avoiding swap thrashing and oom by strict use
> > of cgroupsv2 and PSI. Some people say, oh yeah duh, just don't make a
> > swap device at all, what are you crazy? Then there's swap on ZRAM. And
> > alas zswap too. So what's actually recommended to help with this
> > problem?
>
> I believe this will be workload specific and it is always appreciated to
> report the behavior as mentioned above.

I'll do so in a separate email. But by what mechanism is workload
determined or categorized? And how is the system dynamically
reconfigured to better handle different workloads? These are general
purpose operating systems, of course a user has different workloads
from moment to moment.

--
Chris Murphy