Re: Questions about filesystems from SQLite author presentation

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 5:40 PM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:26 AM Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > At Linux Plumbers 2019 Dr Richard Hipp presented a talk about SQLite
> > (https://youtu.be/-oP2BOsMpdo?t=5525 ). One of the slides was titled
> > "Things to discuss"
> > (https://sqlite.org/lpc2019/doc/trunk/slides/sqlite-intro.html/#6 )
> > and had a few questions:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > However, there were even more questions in the briefing paper
> > (https://sqlite.org/lpc2019/doc/trunk/briefing.md and search for '?')
> > that couldn't be asked due to limited time. Does anyone know the
> > answer to the extended questions and whether the the above is right
> > deduction for the questions that were asked?
> >

> As Jan said, there is a difference between the answer to "what is the
> current behavior" and "what are filesystem developers willing to commit
> as behavior that will remain the same in the future", but I will try to provide
> some answers to your questions.
>
> > If a power loss occurs at about the same time that a file is being extended
> > with new data, will the file be guaranteed to contain valid data after reboot,
> > or might the extended area of the file contain all zeros or all ones or
> > arbitrary content? In other words, is the file data always committed to disk
> > ahead of the file size?
>
> While that statement would generally be true (ever since ext3
> journal=ordered...),

Bah! scratch that. The statement is generally not true.
Due to delayed allocation with xfs/ext4 you are much more likely to
find the extended areas contain all zeroes.
The only guaranty AFAIK is that with truncate+extend sequence, you
won't find the old data in the re-extended area.

Thanks,
Amir.