Re: Sharing ext4 on target storage to multiple initiators using NVMeoF

On 9/16/19 9:33 AM, Daegyu Han wrote:
> Hi linux file system experts,
>
> I want to share ext4 on the storage server to multiple initiators(node
> A,B) using NVMeoF.
> Node A will write file to ext4 on the storage server, and I will mount
> read-only option on Node B.
>
> Actually, the reason I do this is for a prototype test.
>
> I can't see the file's dentry and inode written in Node A on Node B
> unless remount(umount and then mount) it.
>
> Why is that?

Caching, metadata journaling, etc.

What you are trying to do will not work.

> I think if there is file system cache(dentry, inode) on Node B, then
> disk IO will occur to read the data written by Node A.

why would it?  there is no coordination between the nodes.  ext4 is
not a clustered filesystem.

> Curiously, drop cache on Node B and do blockdev --flushbufs, then I
> can access the file written by Node A.
>
> I checked the kernel code and found that flushbufs incurs
> sync_filesystem() which flushes the superblock and all dirty file
> system caches.
>
> Should the superblock data structure be flushed (updated) when
> accessing the disk inode?

It has nothing to do w/ the superblock.

> I wonder why this happens.

ext4 cannot be used for what you're trying to do.

-Eric