Re: Possible FS race condition between iterate_dir and d_alloc_parallel

On 2019/9/6 1:47, Al Viro wrote:

> [...]
> case its ->d_child.next points to the next surviving non-cursor, also
> guaranteed to remain in the same directory, etc.
>
> However, lose that rename_lock recheck and we'd get screwed, unless
> there's some other d_move() prevention in effect.
>
> Note that all libfs.c users (next_positive(), move_cursor(),
> dcache_dir_lseek(), dcache_readdir(), simple_empty()) should be
> safe - dcache_readdir() is called with directory locked at least
> shared, uses in dcache_dir_lseek() are surrounded by the same,
> move_cursor() and simple_empty() hold ->d_lock on parent,
> next_positive() is called only under the lock on directory's
> inode (at least shared).  Any of those should prevent any
> kind of cross-directory moves - both into and out of.
>
> <greps for d_subdirs/d_child users>
>
> Huh?
> In drivers/usb/typec/tcpm/tcpm.c:
> static void tcpm_debugfs_exit(struct tcpm_port *port)
> {
>         int i;
>
>         mutex_lock(&port->logbuffer_lock);
>         for (i = 0; i < LOG_BUFFER_ENTRIES; i++) {
>                 kfree(port->logbuffer[i]);
>                 port->logbuffer[i] = NULL;
>         }
>         mutex_unlock(&port->logbuffer_lock);
>
>         debugfs_remove(port->dentry);
>         if (list_empty(&rootdir->d_subdirs)) {
>                 debugfs_remove(rootdir);
>                 rootdir = NULL;
>         }
> }
>
> Unrelated, but obviously broken.  Not only the locking is
> deeply suspect, but it's trivially confused by open() on
> the damn directory.  It will definitely have ->d_subdirs
> non-empty.
>
> Came in "usb: typec: tcpm: remove tcpm dir if no children",
> author Cc'd...  Why not remove the directory on rmmod?
> And create on insmod, initially empty...
>
> fs/nfsd/nfsctl.c:
> static void nfsdfs_remove_files(struct dentry *root)
> {
>         struct dentry *dentry, *tmp;
>
>         list_for_each_entry_safe(dentry, tmp, &root->d_subdirs, d_child) {
>                 if (!simple_positive(dentry)) {
>                         WARN_ON_ONCE(1); /* I think this can't happen? */
>                         continue;
> It can happen - again, just have it opened and it bloody well will.
> Locking is OK, though - parent's inode is locked, so we are
> safe from d_move() playing silly buggers there.
>
> fs/autofs/root.c:
> static void autofs_clear_leaf_automount_flags(struct dentry *dentry)
> {
>         /* Set parent managed if it's becoming empty */
>         if (d_child->next == &parent->d_subdirs &&
>             d_child->prev == &parent->d_subdirs)
>                 managed_dentry_set_managed(parent);
>
> Same bogosity regarding the check for emptiness (that one might've been my
> fault).  Locking is safe...  Not sure if all places in autofs/expire.c
> are careful enough...
>
> So it doesn't look like this theory holds.  Which filesystem had that
> been on and what about ->d_parent of dentries in dirA and dirB

The filesystem is tmpfs.  All the ->d_parent of dentries in dirA is dirA,  in dirB is dirB.

I still think is a use-after-free bug..

d_move needs parent's inode lock, while dcache_readdir

is called under the lock on directory's inode shared.