Re: [RFC 2/2] AUFS: merging/stacking several filesystems

On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:43:56 +0900 hooanon05@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > Here are some of them and the intention of this post is to get some
> > > initial feedback about its design.
> 	:::
>
> I have posted some of ideas, design or approaches which are implemented
> in AUFS stackable filesystem about a month before.
> While I have a plan to implement some more features still, the current
> AUFS status is better and used many people for years.
> Since I have received requests to submit AUFS into the mainline more
> than once, Now I'd ask you to include AUFS into mainline.
> But the source is large (see below).
> Should I send all of these files to this ML, or ask you to download them
> from CVS?
> If AUFS was much smaller, I would send files here without asking.

Yup, prepare a patch series and email them out.  cc linux-kernel too.

> 0. Introduction
> In the early days, aufs was entirely re-designed and re-implemented
> Unionfs Version 1.x series. After many original ideas, approaches,
> improvements and implementations, it becomes totally different from
> Unionfs while keeping the basic features.
> Recently, Unionfs Version 2.x series begin taking some of same
> approaches to aufs's.
> Unionfs is being developed by Professor Erez Zadok at Stony Brook
> University and his team.
> If you don't know Unionfs, I recommend you becoming familiar with it
> before using aufs. Some terminology in aufs follows Unionfs's.

We'd be interested in hearing if aufs addresses any of the shortcomings
which reviewers identified in unionfs and if so, how.

> CVS tree is in aufs project of SourceForge.

Nobody is set up to handle cvs, sorry.  It would be worth the time to
migrate it to git.