Re: [RFC iproute2 1/1] ip: netns: add mounted state file for each netns

Le 26/06/2019 à 21:03, Alexander Aring a écrit :
> This patch adds a state file for each generated namespace to ensure the
> namespace is mounted. There exists no way to tell another programm that
> the namespace is mounted when iproute is creating one. An example
> application would be an inotify watcher to use the generated namespace
> when it's discovers one. In this case we cannot use the generated
> namespace file in /var/run/netns in the time when it's not mounted yet.
> A primitiv approach is to generate another file after the mount
> systemcall was done. In my case inotify waits until the mount statefile
> is generated to be sure that iproute2 did a mount bind.
We (at 6WIND) already hit this problem. The solution was: if setns() fails, wait
a bit and retry the setns() and continue this loop with a predefined timeout.
netns may be created by other app than iproute2, it would be nice to find a
generic solution.

David Howells was working on a mount notification mechanism:
https://lwn.net/Articles/760714/
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dhowells/linux-fs.git/log/?h=notifications

I don't know what is the status of this series.

Regards,
Nicolas