Re: Testing devices for discard support properly

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 01:09:03PM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> On 5/8/19 1:03 PM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> > Ric,
> >
> > > That all makes sense, but I think it is orthogonal in large part to
> > > the need to get a good way to measure performance.
> > There are two parts to the performance puzzle:
> >
> >   1. How does mixing discards/zeroouts with regular reads and writes
> >      affect system performance?
> >
> >   2. How does issuing discards affect the tail latency of the device for
> >      a given workload? Is it worth it?
> >
> > Providing tooling for (1) is feasible whereas (2) is highly
> > workload-specific. So unless we can make the cost of (1) negligible,
> > we'll have to defer (2) to the user.
>
> Agree, but I think that there is also a base level performance question -
> how does the discard/zero perform by itself.
>
> Specifically, we have had to punt the discard of a whole block device before
> mkfs (back at RH) since it tripped up a significant number of devices.
> Similar pain for small discards (say one fs page) - is it too slow to do?

Small discards are already skipped is the device indicates it has
a minumum discard granularity. This is another reason why the "-o
discard" mount option isn't sufficient by itself and fstrim is still
required - filesystems often only free small isolated chunks of
space at a time and hence never may send discards to the device.

> > > For SCSI, I think the "WRITE_SAME" command *might* do discard
> > > internally or just might end up re-writing large regions of slow,
> > > spinning drives so I think it is less interesting.
> > WRITE SAME has an UNMAP flag that tells the device to deallocate, if
> > possible. The results are deterministic (unlike the UNMAP command).

That's kinda what I'm getting at here - we need to define the
behaviour the OS provides users, and then ensure that the behaviour
is standardised correctly so that devices behave correctly. i.e.  we
want devices to support WRITE_SAME w/ UNMAP flag well (because
that's an exact representation of FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE
requirements), and don't really care about the UNMAP command.

> > WRITE SAME also has an ANCHOR flag which provides a use case we
> > currently don't have fallocate plumbing for: Allocating blocks without
> > caring about their contents. I.e. the blocks described by the I/O are
> > locked down to prevent ENOSPC for future writes.

So WRITE_SAME (0) with an ANCHOR flag does not return zeroes on
subsequent reads? i.e. it is effectively
fallocate(FALLOC_FL_NO_HIDE_STALE) preallocation semantics?

For many use cases cases we actually want zeroed space to be
guaranteed so we don't expose stale data from previous device use
into the new user's visibility - can that be done with WRITE_SAME
and the ANCHOR flag?

Cheers,

Dave.

--