Re: Better interop for NFS/SMB file share mode/reservation

On Sun, 2019-04-28 at 18:33 -0400, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 6:08 PM Trond Myklebust <
> trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2019-04-28 at 18:00 -0400, Amir Goldstein wrote:

> > > Sorry for being thick, I don't understand if we are in agreement
> > > or
> > > not.
> > >
> > > My understanding is that the network file server implementations
> > > (i.e. samba, knfds, Ganesha) will always use share/deny modes.
> > > So for example nfs v3 opens will always use O_DENY_NONE
> > > in order to have correct interop with samba and nfs v4.
> > >
> > > If I am misunderstanding something, please enlighten me.
> > > If there is a reason why mount option is needed for the sole
> > > purpose
> > > of interop between network filesystem servers, please enlighten
> > > me.
> > >

> > Same difference. As long as nfsd and/or Ganesha are translating
> > OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_READ and OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_WRITE into share
> > access
> > locks, then those will conflict with any deny locks set by whatever
> > application that uses them.
> >
> > IOW: any open(O_RDONLY) and open(O_RDWR) will conflict with an
> > O_DENY_READ that is set on the server, and any open(O_WRONLY) and
> > open(O_RDWR) will conflict with an O_DENY_WRITE that is set on the
> > server. There is no opt-out for NFS clients on this issue, because
> > stateful NFSv4 opens MUST set one or more of
> > OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_READ
> > and OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_WRITE.
> >

> Urgh! I *think* I understand the confusion.
>
> I believe Jeff was talking about implementing a mount option
> similar to -o mand for local fs on the server.
> With that mount option, *any* open() by any app of file from
> that mount will use O_DENY_NONE to interop correctly with
> network servers that explicitly opt-in for interop on share modes.
> I agree its a nice feature that is easy to implement - not important
> for first version IMO.
>
> I *think* you are talking on nfs client mount option for
> opt-in/out of share modes? there was no such intention.

No. I'm saying that whether you intended to or not, you _are_
implementing a mandatory lock over NFS. No talk about O_SHARE flags and
it being an opt-in process for local applications changes the fact that
non-local applications (i.e. the ones that count ☺) are being subjected
to a mandatory lock with all the potential for denial of service that
implies.
So we need a mechanism beyond O_SHARE in order to ensure this system
cannot be used on sensitive files that need to be accessible to all. It
could be an export option, or a mount option, or it could be a more
specific mechanism (e.g. the setgid with no execute mode bit as using
in POSIX mandatory locks).

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace