Re: Mentor for a GSoC application wanted (Online ext2/3 filesystem checker)

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:48 AM, Sunil Mushran <Sunil.Mushran@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Teoh wrote:
>
> > I understood that, and that was what I said "memory + journal log
> > file" except that perhaps a  better term for journal log will be redo
> > log. Correct?
> >
>  redolog would be the appropriate term. But the point still is that oracle
>  does not stop writing to the db file when it is in hot backup mode. That
>  would be sheer madness as the user may not stop the backup mode for say
>  a day or maybe a week. It keeps writing to the dbfiles but at the same time
>  generates more redo to ensure it can handle fractured blocks when one is
>  restoring from those backups.

Ah....now I understood your point:    few days of backing up (due to
large size of dbfiles) + fractured blocks....key words I have  learned
from you.....must thank you for your sharing....

Ok, now  I must admit that online fsck is extremely difficult  - given
that I no longer have an option of fs-snapshot for readonly at a point
in time, which is my only way of doing it so far.

Thank you for the discussion! :-).

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh