Re: Mentor for a GSoC application wanted (Online ext2/3 filesystem checker)

On Seg, 2008-04-21 at 19:40 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Is there a reason why this isn't being done other than performance?
>
> One reason against it is that in many (but not all) setups to guarantee
> reaching the platter you have to disable the write cache, and at least
> for consumer level hard disks disk vendors generally do not recommend
> doing this because it significantly lowers the MTBF of the disk.

I understand that, but if the disk/storage doesn't support flushing the
cache, I would expect fsync() to return EIO or ENOTSUP, I wouldn't
expect it to ignore my request and risk losing data without my
knowledge..

I know fsync() also flushes dirty buffers, but IMHO even if it flushes
the buffers it'd be better to return an error if a full sync wasn't
being done rather than returning success and misleading the application.

Anyway, sorry if this has been discussed before, I should take a look at
the archives..

Thanks,
Ricardo
--