Re: dcache locking question

On Sun, 2019-03-17 at 17:35 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 09:23:16PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:

> A non-volatile store of certain 32-bit constants can and does tear
> on some architectures.  These architectures would be the ones with a
> store-immediate instruction with a small immediate field, and where
> the 32-bit constant is such that a pair of 16-bit immediate store
> instructions can store that value.

Understood: PA-RISC is one such architecture: our ldil (load immediate
long) can only take 21 bits of immediate data and you have to use a
second instruction (ldo) to get the remaining 11 bits. However, the
compiler guarantees no tearing in memory visibility for PA by doing the
lidl/ldo sequence on a register and then writing the register to memory
which I believe is an architectural guarantee.

> There was a bug in an old version of GCC where even volatile 32-bit
> stores of these constants would tear.  They did fix the bug, but it
> took some time to find a GCC person who understood that this was in
> fact a bug.
>
> Hence my preference for READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() for data-racing
> loads and stores.

OK, but didn't everyone eventually agree this was a compiler bug?

> > > Wait a sec; are there any 64bit architectures where the same is
> > > not guaranteed for dereferencing properly aligned void **?
> >
> > Yes, naturally alligned void * dereference shouldn't tear
> > either.  Iwas just using 32 bit as my example because 64 bit
> > accesses will tear on 32 bit architectures but 64 bit naturally
> > aligned accesses shouldn't tear on 64 bit architectures.  However,
> > since we can't guarantee the 64 bitness of the architecture 32 bit
> > or void * is our gold standard for not tearing.
>
> For stores of quantities not known at compiler time, agreed.  But
> that same store-immediate situation could happen on 64-bit systems.
>
> > James
> >

> > > If that's the case, I can think of quite a few places that are
> > > rather dubious, and I don't see how READ_ONCE() could help in
> > > those - e.g. if an architecture only has 32bit loads, rcu list
> > > traversals are not going to be doable without one hell of an
> > > extra headache.
>
> All the 64-bit systems that run the Linux kernel do have 64-bit load
> instructions and rcu_dereference() uses READ_ONCE() internally, so we
> should be fine with RCU list traverals.

I really don't think it's possible to get the same immediate constant
tearing bug on 64 bit.  If you look at PA, we have no 64 bit
equivalent of the ldil/ldo pair so all 64 bit immediate stores come
straight from the global data table via a register, so no tearing.  I
bet every 64 bit architecture has a similar approach because 64 bit
immediate data just requires too many bits to stuff into an instruction
pair.

James