Re: [RFC] udftools: steps towards fsck

On Fri 08-03-19 10:50:34, Steve Magnani wrote:
> > > * For any standards-based parser it's important to have examples of as many
> > > variations as possible (both normal and pathological) in order to ensure
> > > that corner cases and less common features are tested properly. Can anyone
> > > point me to any good sources of UDF data for testing? There are always
> > > commercial DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, of course, and I've cobbled together a
> > > few special cases by hand (i.e., a filesystem with directory cycles), but I
> > > have no examples with extended attributes or stream data. If I could find a
> > > DVD of Mac software in a resale shop would that help? [Side note, I've
> > > thought of enhancing chkudf to support a tool that would store all the UDF
> > > structures of a filesystem in a tarball that could be used to reconstitute
> > > that filesystem within a sparse file. Since none of the file contents would
> > > be stored the tarballs would be relatively small even if they represent
> > > terabyte-scale filesystems.
> Any thoughts on this? It would seem like a library of test cases would help
> both udftools and kernel driver development.

Agreed. E.g. e2fsprogs have a relatively large bunch of fs images to test
fsck functionality. Initially I think it is important to have just several
images checking basic functionality and an easy way to run them. New images
to test then can be added as we find various corruptions in the wild... I
have a couple of images I test the kernel driver against which I can
contribute.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>