Re: Documenting the crash consistency guarantees of file systems

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 7:06 PM Jayashree Mohan <jaya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Amir!
>
> Thanks for putting across your thoughts on this. Your suggestions
> definitely make sense, and we'll compile these information and submit
> a patch for review.
>
> When it comes to strictly ordered metadata consistency, to the best of
> our knowledge only xfs claims to provide it explicitly. In ext4,
> delayed allocation and fsync of a file not persisting all its hard
> links[1] are examples of violation to the strictly ordered metadata
> consistency right?

No, I don't think they are.
At least that is not how understand what Ted wrote.

> And for btrfs, they don't seem to explicit about
> providing such semantics. Look at this thread[2] for example, owing to
> the lack of specification, btrfs does not commit to providing such
> guarantees.

The discussion is not about ordered metadata, is it about what
fsync(file) should do. They are related if we decide that fsync(file)
should persist nlink, but I think all fs maintainers are in agreement
that it doesn't matter and btrfs choice is as valid as ext4/xfs choice.

That said, I don't know if btrfs does strictly ordered metadata or not.
Order metadata means if user does op A then op B, you should not be
able to see consequence of op B after crash without seeing the
consequence of op A.

Can you give a counter example for btrfs? for ext4?

The different fsync() guaranties in different filesystems confuse you
because if you expect fsync() to persist op B, then you expect op A
to persist as well, but it may be the former (fsync) expectation that is
failing and not the latter (ordered).

Thanks,
Amir.