Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Lazy file reflink

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 6:30 AM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> generic_remap_file_range_prep() does not require that source
> file is not immutable. Does XFS? I don't know if "immutable"
> has ever been defined w.r.t file layout on disk. has it?
> I recon btrfs re-balancing would not stop at migrating "immutable"
> file blocks would it?

chattr +i does not pin the file to a particular physical location on a
device or even on a particular device, at least on Btrfs. A balance
operation, including device replace, or device add+remove, or changing
the raid profile, isn't inhibited - such operations happen at the
block group level, somewhat similar to LVM pvmove.

A directory containing an immutable file cannot be deleted until
immutable flag is unset; but a subvolume containing an immutable file
is deleted without complaint when using 'btrfs sub del'. I'm pretty
sure that's expected. Further, looks like now 'rmdir' and 'rm -rf'
will remove a subvolume; but in the case of it containing an immutable
file, 'rm -rf' fails just as if it were a directory even though 'btrfs
sub del' succeeds.

--
Chris Murphy