Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Sharing file backed pages

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:12:29AM -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 03:54:34PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> > On Wed 23-01-19 10:48:58, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> > > In his session about "reflink" in LSF/MM 2016 [1], Darrick Wong brought
> > > up the subject of sharing pages between cloned files and the general vibe
> > > in room was that it could be done.
> > >
> > > In his talk about XFS subvolumes and snapshots [2], Dave Chinner said
> > > that Matthew Willcox was "working on that problem".
> > >
> > > I have started working on a new overlayfs address space implementation
> > > that could also benefit from being able to share pages even for filesystems
> > > that do not support clones (for copy up anticipation state).
> > >
> > > To simplify the problem, we can start with sharing only uptodate clean
> > > pages that map the same offset in respected files. While the same offset
> > > requirement somewhat limits the use cases that benefit from shared file
> > > pages, there is still a vast majority of use cases (i.e. clone full
> > > image), where sharing pages of similar offset will bring a lot of
> > > benefit.
> > >
> > > At first glance, this requires dropping the assumption that a for an
> > > uptodate clean page, vmf->vma->vm_file->f_inode == page->mapping->host.
> > > Is there really such an assumption in common vfs/mm code?  and what will
> > > it take to drop it?
> >
> > There definitely is such assumption. Take for example page reclaim as one
> > such place that will be non-trivial to deal with. You need to remove the
> > page from page cache of all inodes that contain it without having any file
> > context whatsoever. So you will need to create some way for this page->page
> > caches mapping to happen. Jerome in his talk at LSF/MM last year [1] actually
> > nicely summarized what it would take to get rid of page->mapping
> > dereferences. He even had some preliminary patches. To sum it up, it's a
> > lot of intrusive work but in principle it is possible.
> >
> > [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/752564/
> >

> I intend to post a v2 of my patchset doing that sometime soon. For
> various reasons this had been push to the bottom of my todo list since
> last year. It is now almost at the top and it will stay at the top.
> So i will be resuming work on that.
>
> I wanted to propose this topic again as a joint session with mm so
> here is my proposal:
>

> I would like to discuss the removal of page mapping field dependency
> in most kernel code path so the we can overload that field for generic
> page write protection (KSM) for file back pages. The whole idea behind
> this is that we almost always have the mapping a page belongs to within
> the call stack for any function that operate on a file or on a vma do
> have it:
>     - syscall/kernel on a file (file -> inode -> mapping)
>     - syscall/kernel on virtual address (vma -> file -> mapping)
>     - write back for a given mapping
>
> Note that the plan is not to free up the mapping field in struct page
> but to reduce the number of place that needs the mapping corresponding
> [...]

Stupid me forget to say what i want to talk about during LSF/MM
session:
    - very quick overlook of the patchset and then taking questions on it
    - gather people feeling/opinion (does it looks good ?)
    - merging strategy for which i have some thought and would like to
      gather feedback on them

I expect to post a v2 long before LSF/MM probably in February so
people will have sometime to look at it. A warning it is almost
entirely all done with coccinelle as it is almost only mechanical
changes.

Cheers,
Jérôme