Re: Behaviour of /proc/self/fd/NN

[Trimming Cc since this gets fuse specific]

On Nov 14 2018, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Exactly.   The only limitation is that if the target is a symlink (fd
>>> opened with O_PATH) then the neither the symlink following, nor the
>>> non-following variants will do the right thing (see *xattr ops in
>>> passthrough_ll for example).
>>
>> That said, I also noticed the following code to handle utimens for symlinks:
>>
>> res = utimensat(inode->fd, "", tv,
>>                 AT_EMPTY_PATH | AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW);
>> if (res == -1 && errno == EINVAL) {
>>         /* Sorry, no race free way to set times on symlink. */
>>         errno = EPERM;
>> }
>>
>> So it looks as it at least utimensat() does the right thing under at
>> least some conditions...?
>
> Not yet upstream.  Here's the patch:
>
>   https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=154158217810354&w=2

Thanks!

Is there any reason that we don't try to open *files* as O_RDWR or such
and only fall back to O_PATH if that doesn't work? That should enable us
to use fsetxattr et all in many cases, right? The kernel already does
permission checking (so that's not a concern), and we should never need
a dirfd for a file...

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F