Re: "Write once only but read many" filesystem

Bryan Henderson wrote:
other times you talk about a filesystem that can be updated, ...
NO updating is possible.

I'm still not convinced you mean that, because the example you give is specifically of a file that becomes immutable after some writing to it. How about creating a new file?
Yes - always allowed.
That is a filesystem update. Do you want to allow that? How about directory modifications, such as rename and unlink?
Creating directories - always allowed. Modification - rename/unlink etc will be disallowed.

Yeah, that's what the bad guy will do. So you haven't prevented someone from undetectably modifying previously written data.

This is the only difference between the current discussion, and the hardware WORM storage solution u mentioned in the previous email, due to it software vs hardware implementation aspect. I have also found this:

ftp://reports.stanford.edu/pub/cstr/reports/cs/tr/87/1177/CS-TR-87-1177.pdf

Well, I would like to thank you and Matthew for the discussion (I think using the printer is not advisable - the output is not really so immutable after all - JUST reprint the modified content will do. Similarly for WORM storage medium - just write into another CD.)

U agree with me?.   Sorry for the rubbish talk :-).

Anyway, I shall attempt to write some proof-of-concept patches to try out the idea. I may fail.

Thanks.