Re: FAN_OPEN_EXEC event and ignore mask

> > Man page should be revised to clarify the currently expected behavior:
> > FAN_EVENT_ON_CHILD ...
> >   The flag has no effect when marking mounts
> > + or filesystems and has no effect when set in ignore mask
> >
> > Please include that change in your man page draft for new
> > ignore mask interpretations.
>
> OK. I've updated the man pages to include the clarification around the
> revised handling of ignore mask. These can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/matthewbobrowski/man-pages/commits/fanotify_ignore
>
> Wasn't overly confident about where I've placed the explanations, but I
> felt that's where they fitted best. I was also thinking that we could have
> an example of a compound event to illustrate the functionality further?

I can see it clearly now - Jan was right all along -
We cannot afford to add new constructs to this man page
like "compound event" - it will just be too complicated to understand.

In early discussions, we spoke of two options:
- Independent event (this haven't been well defined)
- Informational flag (like IN_ISDIR), which is unprecedented in fanotify

Jan steered you towards the Independent event option, which I now
completely agree with and so I also agree with Jan that interpretation
of ignore mask should be "mask the event bit out".

On the question of whether execve() should generate two "separate"
events OPEN and OPEN_EXEC or just one combined event
OPEN | OPEN_EXEC, I am leaning towards one combined event
(like you implemented). Non permission events can be merged, so
user will not know the difference anyway. Permission events cannot
be merged, but man page doesn't say anything about that.
It might be worth dropping a note about OPEN_EXEC_PERM
that it could be expected to appear together in the same permission
event with OPEN_PERM and user response will apply to both.

Thanks,
Amir.