Re: Problems with VM_MIXEDMAP removal from /proc/<pid>/smaps

On Tue 02-10-18 12:50:58, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 02-10-18 12:05:31, Jan Kara wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > commit e1fb4a086495 "dax: remove VM_MIXEDMAP for fsdax and device dax" has
> > removed VM_MIXEDMAP flag from DAX VMAs. Now our testing shows that in the
> > mean time certain customer of ours started poking into /proc/<pid>/smaps
> > and looks at VMA flags there and if VM_MIXEDMAP is missing among the VMA
> > flags, the application just fails to start complaining that DAX support is
> > missing in the kernel. The question now is how do we go about this?
>
> Do they need to check for a general DAX support or do they need a per
> mapping granularity?

General DAX support per filesystem is OK for them, at least for now. So
they might be OK with just checking for 'dax' mount option in /proc/mounts.
But I agree this is cumbersome.

> > Strictly speaking, this is a userspace visible regression (as much as I
> > think that application poking into VMA flags at this level is just too
> > bold). Is there any precedens in handling similar issues with smaps which
> > really exposes a lot of information that is dependent on kernel
> > implementation details?
>
> Yeah, exposing all the vma flags was just a terrible idea. We have had a
> similar issue recently [1] for other flag that is no longer set while
> the implementation of the feature is still in place. I guess we really
> want to document that those flags are for debugging only and no stable
> and long term API should rely on it.

Yeah, I have some doubts about usefulness of such documentation but I guess
it's better than nothing.

> Considering how new the thing really is (does anybody do anything
> production like out there?) I would tend to try a better interface
> rather than chasing after random vma flags. E.g. what prevents a
> completely unrelated usage of VM_MIXEDMAP?

Nothing checking that flag is in production AFAIK but DAX as such is in
active use for some limited usecases already. I'll reply regarding a better
interface for checking DAX, in an email to Johannes.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR